Sunday 29 October 2017

The Thoughtful Shawl Project: Shawl One


Shawl One: Messalina by Kay F Jones

I remember seeing this shawl all over instagram when it launched. I immediately fell in love with the snuggly looking cables and squishy garter. I must confess to generally feeling very anti-cable. I love how they look, but I find it difficult to get into the swing of them. I either find myself fiddling with two needles and a bendy cable needle, or having to pore over information to do needleless cables.

However, I'm prone to a bit of knitting FOMO, so I couldn't resist the gorgeous projects popping up here, there and everywhere. I shelved my cabling consternation and ran to my stash to pick out some lovely worsted weight yarn.

I finally settled on a gorgeous sea green Rowan Pure Wool Worsted that I picked up from my LYS Little Houndales a while ago. I thought the lofty, soft wool would be perfect for that squishy garter and lush thick cable. But, I feel this was possibly my first mistake. I tend to have a very much preferred palette of neutral tones, grey, oatmeal, cream coupled with purples and pinks. Lilac, plum, fuchsia, mauve; you name it - as long as it sits in that range, I'll wear it. I have very few clothes or knitted objects in green. I like the colour, but I just tend to steer away from it in clothing choices. 

I cast it on at the same time as my chum @karenhtodd. When we usually do a co-cast on, we have plenty of chat and waffling about our chosen project. However this one was suspiciously quiet. I think we were both struggling with the rhythm and shaping, but didn't want to put the other off. 

So, I ploughed on like a trooper. I cabled those cables and gartered that garter. And finally it was time to bind off.  But, the moment it was finished, I knew it would never be a favourite. Or even a worn shawl, if I'm honest. I hated the way it curled up and wouldn't sit straight. No amount of blocking would make it sit right for me. So it sat unloved at the bottom of my shawl chest.

I hasten to add, this is no comment on the shawl or the designer. I've seen many well-loved and beautifully made Messalina. I think my knitting tension was off, or my yarn choice was bad or maybe I just angered the knitting Gods. Who knows? Sometimes these things just happen. 

So, this was an obvious first choice when I started this project. I steeled my courage with a cuppa and pulled out that delicious Rowan worsted wool to be reused in something else.

I thought that perhaps I would feel guilty or sad, but if anything I feel lighter and refreshed. And above all, excited. Because, it's almost like free wool and who doesn't love that?


What is the Thoughtful Shawl Project?

I saw a post by Jennie of tinypaperfoxes about her 39 shawls project, it sparked something inside of me.

Like Jennie, I have an absolute wealth of shawls, but wear the same ones regularly which means that I own unloved, neglected shawls, just like Jennie.

The Thoughtful Shawl Project is my journey to reassess and explore my shawl collection and decide whether to frog, donate or keep. 

You can read the whole post about the project here: The Thoughtful Shawl Project or you can browse the other blog posts about shawls here: Previous Thoughtful Shawl Project Posts.

1 comment

  1. Oh, I’m so glad you frogged yours! I did the same to mine and I feel free from it. Maybe it was the yarn, I chose the same yarn but in cyan blue (which is one of my favourite colours) and it just would not behave. I never considered when I became a Knitter how satisfying frogging would be!

    ReplyDelete

© The Purrfect Yarn. Design by FCD.