Tuesday 19 September 2017

Finished Object: Penguono


If you follow me on any form of social media, I can almost guarantee that you have had fleeting glimpses of my Penguono. And if you're my friend, we've probably had indepth discussions about how much I hate doing moss stitch, how I struggled with picking up selvedge stitches, but overall just how much fun I'm having working on this project. Despite the moss stitch and selvedge stitches.

I'd been eyeing up Stephen West's colourful Penguono (a portmanteau of penguin and kimono, if you're getting curious tickles in the brain) for a long time. I ummed and ahhed about casting it on for the longest time - I'm not a garment knitter, I'm think it might be too oversized for me, will I just look crazy?

But then my scraps of DK, worsted and fingering were building up and I was desperately in need of some colour in my life, my wardrobe consists mostly of grey and black if I'm honest. So, I plucked up the courage and began.

To my utter horror the first section is a huge swath of moss stitch. I have complicated feelings about this neat little stitch. I love the way it looks and feels, but oh my I hate knitting it. There's something about the rhythm that just throws me completely off and I can't settle into the comfortable and soothing click-click.


But I persevered and carried on, through the dreaded moss stitch, onto colourful welts and stripes of acid brights and soft pastels. It was wonderfully fun to see different colours and patterns emerge with the wools I was teaming together (Penguono uses yarns of various weights held together to achieve your designed gauge).

I can't really explain the joy I found in digging through my scraps and pairing (or tripling!) combinations. There's also some sort of inner smugness when you manage to use up a whole ball of leftover, am I right?

I stumbled over a bit while picking up selvedge stitches and made a bit of a mess, but I reasoned with myself since it's underarm - who's going to see it anyway?


And the more fun bits, like the front of the jacket and trim just flew off my needles.

It took me just under a month, a whole sheep or twos worth of wool (seriously, this thing gobbles up yarn. So if you're going to knit it, make sure you're prepared and have a LOT of leftovers).


But honestly, now the cooler weather is upon us, it's barely left my back! And of course, there's the rosy glow I get whenever someone asks "did you make that?" and then gawps open-mouthed at me when I nod. It's bright and bold, but totally beautiful.

It's a Penguono!

You can view my project on Ravelry here. Although, honestly I was kind of terrible with keeping up with updating the yarn I used and notes. Sorry!

Post a Comment

© The Purrfect Yarn. Design by FCD.