Wednesday 4 October 2017

Book Review: Six of Crows

Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

“No mourners. No funerals. Among them, it passed for 'good luck.”

Once again, I was tempted to try this book because of a beautiful cover. But not only that, I loved the title and also the premise. Dark, twisty and heavy on fantasy - this book sounded perfectly suited to my tastes, and my goodness I wasn't disappointed.

I was hooked from the first moment, from the beautifully imagined scenery of Ketterdam and onwards to the rich and perfectly formed fantasy world of the Grisha. It's a masterpiece in how to create a new fantasy world for readers without being too heavy on the information and losing the reader with over-description of every tiny aspect.

But honestly, it's the characters that got their hooks into my heart. Setting POV chapters from the entire heist group was a clever way of drawing the reader in, and giving each of the characters their own backstories, desires and flaws worked perfectly. I found myself really rooting for the ragtag band of misfits from beginning to end. And each time they risked death or faced heartbreak I felt involved and deeply invested in the characters.

The entwinement of Nina and Matthias particularly enthralled me, and almost broke my heart into several pieces multiple times.

The power of this book lies in the skillful way that Leigh Bardugo draws you into the world of the Dregs, keeping you on the edge of your seat as they try to pull off the impossible. I can honestly say I was breathless with excitement several times during reading this book, and as soon as I finished it, I wanted to read the second book.

Buy Six of Crows on Amazon

Post a Comment

© The Purrfect Yarn. Design by FCD.