Wednesday 4 October 2017

The Thoughtful Shawl Project


I remember very, very clearly when I first started knitting the moment the following words slipped out of my mouth, "I will never knit a shawl. I don't see the point, I wouldn't wear it."

And now, years later with 32 finished shawls currently in my collection and...a number of WIPs sitting in my UFO pile. I realise now how very, very foolish that statement was.

Because shawls are like pet cats, one is never enough.

But, even with 32 shawls to choose from, I find myself reaching for the same ones again and again. Which means that shawls that I loved once, that I poured time, yarn and love into sit languishing at the bottom of my shawl chest. And that just seems wrong.

So, when I saw a post by Jennie of tinypaperfoxes on instagram post about her 39 shawls project, it sparked something inside of me.

Like me Jennie has an absolute wealth of shawls, but wears the same ones regularly which means she owns unloved, neglected shawls just like me.

So, using Jennie's wonderful project as an example, I decided to start The Thoughtful Shawl Project.

My aim is to take out a shawl every few days. I want to assess the shawl, could it use a reblock? Is it an uncomfortable shape to wear? Does it suit my wardrobe?

Anything that doesn't fit into my life anymore will either be gifted or frogged to repurpose the yarn. Meaning that those sad, unloved, neglected shawls will get a new lease of life. Either with me as something new, or beloved by it's new owner.

I know it will be a tough journey, because it's hard to say goodbye to something you once loved, or still love. But my hope it that it will guide me to more mindful knitting in the future rather than just leaping into projects without thought because they grabbed me.

I'll be sharing information and updates on each of the shawls in my collection separately on this blog - so if you're interested then please stay tuned!

Post a Comment

© The Purrfect Yarn. Design by FCD.