Sunday 7 January 2018

The Thoughtful Shawl Project: Shawl Three


Shawl Three:  Dauphine by Maria Magnusson

Back in 2013, I was an avid subscriber to The Knitter magazine. I was still very much a beginner knitter, but the contemporary and bold patterns in the magazine really spoke to me (my feelings on the magazine in it's current state are VERY different. But, let's not get into that rant today!).

As soon as I saw the beautiful Dauphine shawl in Issue 56, I knew I wanted to make it. I loved the easy way it draped around the shoulders, and the elegance of the lace and cables. I began making plans to make the shawl.

I started browsing online wool shops, and was (as usual) drawn to deep shades of violet and soft hues of lavender. But I felt an urge to steer away from my usual and safe colours. I found a gorgeous sunny yellow Artesano 100% Alpaca 4ply yarn. The soft halo and egg yolk yellow really grabbed me.

I snapped it up and began waiting impatiently. 

When the yarn finally arrived I cast the shawl on immediately, I couldn't wait to adorn my body in silky, alpaca sunshine. Although I was an inexperienced knitter, I've never really looked at a pattern and thought "nope, no way. That looks too complicated for me." I've always been very much in the give it a try! category. So, the lace and cables were probably less intimidating to me than they should have been.

I knitted happily away, following the pattern. Back in 2013, I didn't know how to read my knitting, and so one of the cable twists is a row or two too long because I accidentally repeated the pattern. But, I didn't dwell on it. I had a beautiful, elegant shawl. All done and dusted and ready to wear.


Except, the yellow really didn't sit well with my skintone. That beautiful shade of egg yolk made me look sickly and tired. I should have stuck to my safe space and gone with purple. 

The shawl languished in the bottom of my shawl chest. When I started this project, I began to look at my shawls in a new way. Does it being me joy? Do I know someone else who would have more joy from it? Who would this shawl suit?

I knew almost immediately who this shawl should be rehomed with. It has gone to live with one of my very favourite people in the whole world. A lady who I didn't know, until I turned up a few days after Christmas day to give it to her, had dyed her fair hair bright pink! 

We pondered together whether her hair was too bright for the shawl. I suggested she embrace it and go full-on brights! She wondered whether it might be better suited when the colour had faded a little.

Either way, I know she will cherish the shawl. And I know she will rock it, bright hair or not.


What is the Thoughtful Shawl Project?

I saw a post by Jennie of tinypaperfoxes about her 39 shawls project, it sparked something inside of me.

Like Jennie, I have an absolute wealth of shawls, but wear the same ones regularly which means that I own unloved, neglected shawls, just like Jennie.

The Thoughtful Shawl Project is my journey to reassess and explore my shawl collection and decide whether to frog, donate or keep. 

You can read the whole post about the project here: The Thoughtful Shawl Project or you can browse the other blog posts about shawls here: Previous Thoughtful Shawl Project Posts.

Post a Comment

© The Purrfect Yarn. Design by FCD.