Thursday 15 March 2018

The Thoughtful Shawl Project: Shawl Five


Shawl Five: Dreambird KAL by Nadita Swings


Back in 2014 I was still very much a beginner knitter, I was starting to experiment more and poke around in more complicated patterns. I've actually always been of the opinion that as long as there's a tutorial or Youtube video, then I'm game to learn any new stitch no matter how intimidating it might seem. So when I heard about the Ravellenic Games, and the ethos behind it, I was really excited to join in and challenge myself. 

I actually initially picked Stephen West's Esjan shawl to be my project for Sochi 2014. I purchased some beautiful buttersoft Malabrigo worsted in sunny shades of red and orange. I waited eagerly for the Opening Ceremony to cast on.

The day came and I clasped my needles enthusiastically, ready to start a new knitting adventure. But within hours it became clear that me and Esjan, never going to work. I'm sure that it's not you, it's me Esjan. But your lace pattern is as undecipherable to me today as it was back then. My brain just refuses it. 

So, it left me in a bit of a panic. I was a day down, patternless and with yarn specifically purchased with this project in mind. I scoured Ravelry for a replacement that could use the same yarn. But nothing spoke to me. Nothing was the challenge I needed, but without tearing my hair out after the disaster of Esjan.

So when I saw the Dreambird KAL, it was unsuitable and looked incredibly difficult. I'd never even heard of swing knitting (and to be honest, even today I'm not entirely sure what swing knitting it). But it was so beautiful, I fell in love. 

Growing up, my favourite fairytale was always The Firebird, and I couldn't stop imagining this shawl in smokey, charcoal tones and fiery splashes of colour. It felt like a sign that this pattern reminded me so strongly of an old Russian folktake, when the Olympics was in Sochi. So, I steeled my nerve and bought the pattern. 

I had a beautiful, but unidentified yarn that I bought at Yarndale previously. The tag had somehow wandered in between my purchasing it, and camping in the wilds of Skipton. But I knew the flaming tones would be perfect. Rob made an emergency dash to my LYS (props to the wonderful Kath of Little Houndales for letting a big, hairy man into her house late at night on a non-shop day to pick up the emergency yarn) to grab a skein of Malabrigo sock in a lovely deep purple.

I was ready to go! And only delayed by two days, I could do this! 



I knitted that shawl religiously. I watched the moguls, the freestyle skating, the curling and so much more. I fell in love with Winter sports and the steady click-clack of the pattern. I felt a swell of pride as Team GB won medals, and I knitted hard and fast and finished just in time. 

And my goodness what a beautiful shawl this is. I don't know why I don't wear it more. It is the very reason I needed to start this project - I have beautiful shawls, full of stories and love that deserve more. So, I've dug out my Firebird shawl, and resolved that it will get much, much more wear. 



What is the Thoughtful Shawl Project?

I saw a post by Jennie of tinypaperfoxes about her 39 shawls project, it sparked something inside of me.

Like Jennie, I have an absolute wealth of shawls, but wear the same ones regularly which means that I own unloved, neglected shawls, just like Jennie.

The Thoughtful Shawl Project is my journey to reassess and explore my shawl collection and decide whether to frog, donate or keep. 

You can read the whole post about the project here: The Thoughtful Shawl Project or you can browse the other blog posts about shawls here: Previous Thoughtful Shawl Project Posts.



Post a Comment

© The Purrfect Yarn. Design by FCD.