Tuesday 19 September 2017

Book Review: Wicked Like a Wildfire

Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)Wicked Like a Wildfire by Lana Popović
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"Love makes us even brighter than we are, until the gleam grows into a roman candle, impossible to contain. Everyone can see us shine with it, then, and it’s the nature of the human beast to fear what it doesn’t understand."

They say never to judge a book by its cover, but this is one beautiful cover. I spent a log time just looking at it, searching for hidden pieces and puzzles. Then I opened the book and it got better.

Wicked Like a Wildfire was full of really juicy, evocative prose and I devoured it from beginning to end. It reads somewhat like a blend of poetry and a folktale. And as we all know folktales can have a very dark slant to them.

I found the modern day setting a little jarring, but I think that's personal preference as I'm used to more historical-themed fantasy. But Montenegro is a lush and magical world just ripe for magical mayhem.

Overall I found this a spellbinding and heart wrenching read with a few flaws which are easily overlooked because of the beauty and substance of the prose.

Buy Wicked Like a Wildfire on Amazon.


Post a Comment

© The Purrfect Yarn. Design by FCD.