Thursday 17 May 2018

Finished Object: Don the Golden Retriever

There hasn't really been much knitting news on this blog lately, and that's really not for a want of trying. I have a pile of tube socks mounting up that desperately need heels putting in, and every time I trawl Ravelry for a new and exciting sock or shawl pattern I can feel their judgemental glare.

So, while there is no finished object for knitting...there is a crochet object! To say I'm stunned is an understatement.  I think it might be time to add a crochet section to this blog! I'm both gobsmacked and proud of how I'm doing with my crochet lately.

Even just a year ago the thought of picking up a hook broke me out in a cold sweat. I couldn't even manage a straight chain stitch. My hands seemed too big, too clumsy and too...handy. But, never one to give up I decided to try again when my lovely friend Adam decided to try and pick up the hook.

He picked up a kit to make a bunny, and I browsed Toft's pattern selections. I settled on a bunny too and bought the pattern to make Emma the Bunny.

I'm digressing a lot, so let's just say Emma wasn't incredibly successful (I can't account for yarn for crochet the same way I can for knitting so she is sadly a headless rabbit). Adam gave up, and ended up sending the bunny kit to me so I could finish it for him.

But, something amazing did happen. Crochet clicked for me. It didn't seem overcomplicated or stressful anymore. Instead I found the process soothing and fun.

Fast forward a bit of time and I picked up the Toft advent calendar, the idea was to crochet a little bit of a mystery animal a day at a time in the run-up to Christmas.

This also wasn't the most successful endeavour, I found the loop stitch horrendously difficult as a beginner crochet wrangler. But I mustered the courage to flump my way through it somehow. But as a sidenote, never try and learn a tricky crochet stitch in the run-up to Christmas. It's horrible and stressful during an already stressful time. I think a million Quality Street were eaten and there may have been some whisky consumption to soothe my frayed nerves.

BUT, these struggles are why I'm so proud to show you my finished object. Please meet Don the Golden Retriever.


See his fluffy little chest? Those feathery legs? That magnificent swoopy tail? ALL loop stitch. To say I'm proud is an understatement.

Once again, the power of the click happened, and my struggles with Gloria the Christmas red panda paid off. I can now loop stitch without stuffing a million toffee pennies into my mouth between each loop. Toft yarn is absolutely gorgeous to work with, and I love the natural colour scheme. The pattern was also wonderful, and I can't wait to work on more puppies from Edward’s Menagerie: Dogs.

The only struggle I had with Don was sewing his face, I must have ripped out and sewn that nose 7 times (no exaggeration!), it was rough. So, I'd love to see a video from Toft covering facial features. Especially for the dogs where the face adds a lot of character to the animal.

But, here he is. Finished and making me glow with pride. Don!

Post a Comment

© The Purrfect Yarn. Design by FCD.